Sunday, February 2, 2014

MY CURRENT MASCARA ROTATION



l-r: Cover Girl Clump Crusher, Too Faced Lash Injection, Maybelline The Rocket, 
Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing, Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes


I am the type of person that always has a few masaras open at any given time. I like different mascaras for different things - one for my bottom lashes, one for separating, one for volume...ideally there is a mascara out there for me that does it all! Unfortunately, I have not found said mascara yet so I always have a few that I am currently using. Here are the mascaras on my current rotation.

Cover Girl Clump Crusher by LashBlast, $8.99 at Ulta

Ah, the Clump Crusher. I don't think I've ever seen a drugstore mascara with so much hype! I remember Tracy and Stefanie from eleventhgorgeous raving about this mascara last spring and thinking I must have this in my life. Honestly, it's not my favorite, in fact I kind of dislike it...a lot. 

I never seem to have luck with Cover Girl mascaras.  The wand for the Clump Crusher is rubber with a slight curve and short, stubby bristles. It does not do anything for my short, sparse, thin lashes. This mascara does live up to it's name in that I do not have any clumps, but it doesn't give me volume or length which is truly what I need. It is, however, amazing for my bottom lashes! The wand is the perfect size to get every single lash on my lower lash line and the formula does not smudge at all. I'm happy that I found a purpose for it. 

The only thing is this mascara tube is kind of bulky so traveling with it is kind of a pain especially since I know I'm only going to be using it for my bottom lashes. I don't regret buying it because it was pretty inexpensive and I was so happy to finally try it even though it's not my favorite mascara out there. 

Too Faced Lash Injection, $21 at Ulta

Too Faced is one of those brands with the most gorgeous packing - from the eye shadow palettes, to the bronzers, to the lipsticks (seriously have you ever held one of their La Creme lipsticks in your hand? It's a magical moment!). Everything is simply stunning. Their Lash Injection Mascara is no exception. The packing is not only pretty (there are gold bows along the top of the wand!), but it feels expensive. Also, call me crazy, but the smell of this is kind of amazing. It doesn't smell fruity or floral-y...in fact I can't tell what the smell is, but it's kind of nice! I would have never guessed that I would like the smell of a mascara! 

Now, about the actual mascara. It's not that impressive. At least for me. It does a nice job separating my lashes and coats them, but very thinly. Do not get this mascara if you are wanting anything really dramatic. I use this mascara on my 'no make up' days. And I don't mean no make up days where I'm actually using twenty-seven products to achieve a "natural" look. I mean I've got Benefit POREfessional to hide my pores, Rimmel Stay Matte powder all over my face, mascara and a sheer lip gloss. This mascara is about one step above natural lashes. Sort of like a "my lashes but better". Definitely not dramatic, in fact quite natural. 

This mascara came in the Be Merry and Be Bright holiday set exclusive to Ulta so I did not pay full price for this mascara. I was glad I was able to try it, but I won't be purchasing it again. Mostly because there are too many mascaras out there I want to try so a mascara has to be AMAZING for me to purchase it again and this one was just sort of meh

Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express Mascara, $7.49 at Ulta

I absolutely love Maybelline mascaras! I don't think there has ever been one that I truly disliked. That being said, The Rocket Mascara is one that took a long time for me to warm up to. The first time I used it I scratched my cornea with the wand! Those bristles are T-I-N-Y! This mascara is another rubber wand - for the most part I seem to prefer those kinds of wands. As I said the bristles on this wand are very tiny so you have to get really close to the base of your lashes. I have poked myself in the eye many times using this mascara. Other than the possible danger of using this the actual mascara is really nice! 

The formula was perfect from the get go - it wasn't too dry or too wet. This mascara builds volume very quickly, which is what I look for most in a mascara. I've had this mascara the longest (almost six months) and it's still going strong. I have a few other mascaras that I have purchased, but haven't opened yet that I want to try out. If those don't work out I will definitely be buying this again. 

Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara, $2.99 at Walgreens

It's kind of surprising that the least expensive mascara on this list is actually my favorite! This mascara from Jordana is absolutely incredible. I bought it on a whim in July fell in love immediately. The wand is the perfect size for me - it's not massive like The Rocket or super tiny like the Clump Crusher. The formula doesn't flake or smudge at all. However, my favorite thing about this mascara is that it leaves my lashed feeling soft. Yes, you read that right - SOFT. It's amazing! I've never in my life tried a mascara that makes my lashes feel this amazing. This is very close to becoming a holy grail product. The picture shown is of my second tube. I think this might be the first time I've repurchased a mascara. Okay, let's just slap a holy grail sticker on that sucker. I highly recommend this mascara to anyone with easy access to Jordana cosmetics. It's seriously worth it! And if you don't like it? Well, it only set you back $2.99.

Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes, $5.99 at Ulta

Having heard so much about this mascara from Lindsey and Meghan Hughes (beautybaby44 and missmeghanmakeup) I decided to pick this up when Maybelline was BOGO at Ulta a few months ago. Now, I will admit that my expectations were very high for this mascara because it's the only mascara I've seen Lindsey use other than Benefit's They're Real! and she admitted this is her holy grail. I'm not that impressed so far. Granted, I've only used this a handful of times, but I think my lashes are just too thin for this to be beneficial. I can imagine this working wonders on someone with naturally thick lashes, but sadly that person is not me. It takes so many coats to get a little bit of volume and I just don't have the time so I haven't been reaching for this much. I did try layering the Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara over this once and I really liked the result so I may start using mascara as a base. I'm not prepared to give up just yet, but as of now, I will not be repurchasing. 


That's it for my current mascara rotation! What mascara(s) are you currently using? Have you tried any of these mascaras? Do share! 

xoxo,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment